Court Hears Motion to Dismiss Charges Against Cara Rintala
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — The Cara Rintala murder case is back in the news today. Her lawyers have filed a motion to dismiss the murder charge against her.
Cara Rintala has been tried twice, charged with the murder of her wife in the couple’s Granby home and in both trials, there were hung juries.
The judge declared mistrials in both.
Defense Attorney David Hoose filed a motion to dismiss the charges against Rintala. The motion asked the court to bar a third trial, saying the first two trials resulted in hung juries and the Commonwealth has no significant new evidence to present at a third trial.
But prosecutors are opposing the effort to have the charges dismissed. The Commonwealth says it intends to present some new witnesses at the next trial that will show Rintala killed her wife Anna-Marie Cochrane Rintala in their Granby home on March 29, 2010.
First Assistant Northwestern District Attorney Steven Gagne says those witnesses will include experts on paint samples that were found at the crime scene as well as staged crime scene and strangulation experts.
“We can’t think of a more appropriate case to go to the limit to find justice for the victim’s family. This is a first degree murder case. This is a 37-year-old woman, mother, daughter who was murdered. If ever there was a case to put the full resources behind it, this is it,” Gagne explains.
Hoose adds, “This isn’t new evidence. There are new witnesses to talk about the same old evidence.”
If the judge rules that a third trial will be held, it would likely happen by the end of this year.
Rintala is free on $150,000 bail that was posted earlier this year after her second trial ended in hung jury and mistral.
The judge could have a decision on the motion to dismiss within two weeks.