Featured on 40:     Well Wishes for Alex     Parade Slideshow     Gas Prices     Weather Discussion    

Careless Disposal of Cigarette Blamed for Fire at Springfield Home

BRONSON TERR FIRESPRINGFIELD (WGGB) — Springfield Firefighters extinguished a fire at the front of a home on Bronson Terrace early Monday morning.

Aide to the Springfield Fire Department Dennis Leger says fire crews responded to the one-family home at 2:45 a.m.

Springfield Police officers had already arrived on the scene and found a fire in the partition in the hallway by the front door of the home.

Officers used a dry chemical agent they had in their cars to keep the fire under control before firefighters arrived.

When they did, they were able to knock down the flames. However, the panel in the front-left corner of the home suffered significant damage.

Leger says that Arson and Bomb squad investigators say that a friend of the family was smoking a cigarette on the front steps. They believe he carelessly disposed of the cigarette between the concrete of the steps and the wood panel of the home.

The smoke alarm woke up the homeowner and eventually discovered where the smoke was coming from.

Crews had to rip the wall open in order to begin repairs, including removing the door.

Leger estimates that the house suffered roughly $5,000 worth of damage, but the family will be able to remain in the home.


WGGB encourages readers to share their thoughts and engage in healthy dialogue about the issues. Comments containing personal attacks, profanity, offensive language or advertising will be removed. Please use the report comment function for any posts you feel should be reviewed. Thank you.
blog comments powered by Disqus