RV Experts Issue Warning Over Hot Skin Condition
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) — We have an important safety tip for RV owners: make sure your RV is properly grounded when you plug it in to get electricity.
A faulty ground could lead to tragedy like it did recently in Illinois.
Three year old Landyn Gerald Keener died from accidental electrocution when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground.
Christopher Dougherty is an RV Industry Journalist who contributes to RVTravel.com, and RVTravel Channel.
“He was playing out in the back yard and he went up to the RV and touched it and was electrocuted by what we call a Hot Skin Condition,” says Dougherty.
Hot skin condition can happen when an RV is plugged into a bad electrical source where there’s no ground.
“So someone who comes up and touches the RV may have a greater ground than the RV itself and gets shocked,” Dougherty adds.
Dougherty says make sure a licensed electrician installs an electrical outlet for your RV, like this 30 amp outlet he has outside his house. He also recommends carrying a non contact voltage tester that alerts you when there’s a problem.
“If your RV has lost its ground and is electrified, this will sound an alarm,” says Dougherty.
There’s another important safety tip to be aware of,”If you come up and touch the handle or you touch the stair and you get a tingle that’s a warning to you that something’s wrong,” says Dougherty.
Chris Dougherty also tells us that in a recent survey of RV owners, about 20 percent have experienced a tingle when touching a metal part of their RV, an indication that there is a problem that should be checked out by a professional.