40 Force: Scam Alert
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WGGB) – Scams are hot right now. It seems every other knock on the door, phone call, or email is an attempt by scammers to get their hands on your money.
Monday, the 40 Force teamed up with the Better Business Bureau and local scam experts to keep your family safe.
We would like to thank our panel of experts for joining us Monday night including:
- Steve Weisman – Scamicide.com
- Milagros Johnson, Director – Springfield Mayor’s Office of Consumer Information
- Nancy Cahalen & Joanna Toomey – Better Business Bureau of Central and Western Mass.
Local Consumer Programs for Area Residents:
- Hampden County – Springfield Mayor’s Office of Consumer Information: (413) 787-6437
- Hampshire County – Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, Northampton office: (413) 586-9225
- Franklin County – Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, Greenfield office: (413) 774-3186
- Berkshire County – Berkshire County Regional Housing Authority: (413) 443-7138
- Better Business Bureau Consumer Hotline: (866) 566-9222
- Better Business Bureau of Central and Western Mass.
- Angie’s List
- Snopes.com – An Internet resource for urban legends, rumors, scams, and folklore
- Reporting Internet scams or crimes with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at the FBI
- Filing a complaint with the Mass. Attorney General’s office
- Work-at-Home scams
- Fake check scams
- College scholarship scams
- Credit Card scams
- Telephone scams
- Citizenship and Immigration scams
- Nigerian letter or “419” scam
- Online shopping scams
- Website and social media scams
- E-mail scams
- Avoiding home improvement scams
- Top tax scams