ABC 40/Fox6 is giving away $1,000 to a current high school senior interested in studying journalism, broadcasting, communications, media studies, or related field, in a college, university, or technical school following graduation.
The competition is titled “The ABC40/Fox6 Ray Hershel Journalism Scholarship.” The purpose of the contest is to recognize the past and current contributions of Ray Hershel to Western Massachusetts media and citizens, by providing support for a student pursuing a career in the field.
No purchase is necessary. The contest will be held between February 22 and April 15, 2013. Entrants will write a minimum 1000 word essay explaining the importance and role of journalism. The essays will be judged on grammar, vocabulary, originality, focus, thesis and impact. Accompanying the essay, entrants will produce a cover page indicating their name, phone number, e-mail address, high school, age and post-high school plans. Once completed, entrant must send cover page and essay to ESSAY CONTEST, 1300 Liberty Street Springfield MA 01104. Essays will be judged by a panel of reporters and journalists from the ABC40/Fox 6 News Department. The winner will be notified in late April or early May by phone and/or e-mail. The prize will be awarded within the first week of May 2013. The scholarship will be presented to the winner by ABC40/Fox6 live on the air, or during a taped segment. If student is under the age of 18, parents will need to sign an affidavit of eligibility in order for WGGB to release the prize, as well as a release form for the student to appear on the air. The $1,000 will be presented to the winner in the form of a check. Winner/guardian will be required to pay any taxes on the prize and must fill out proper IRS forms when claiming the prize.
The scholarship contest is open to high school seniors in Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties. Entrants must be seniors in high school during the 2012/2013 academic year. Essays received after April 15th will not be accepted. ABC40/Fox6 will not send essays back. Entrants are encouraged to send a copy of their work, not the original document. Essays must be at least 1000 words and use standard 1’’ margins with a 12pt font. ABC40/Fox6/Gormally Broadcasting LLC is not responsible for any lost or damaged entries.
Employees of Gormally Broadcasting LLC, WGGB, Inc., and any other company which owns, programs, or provides other services to television broadcast station WGGB-TV (the “Station”), ABC, their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, and any and all television broadcast and cable stations, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate families” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, or anyone else residing in their household.
- There will be no substitutions for prize except at the sole discretion of the Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
- The winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state, and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prize as set forth in these rules.
- If winner cannot be contacted or if WGGB is not contacted with a response within 48 hours from time of notification of winning, an alternate winner may be chosen.
- Station is not responsible for entries that include inaccurate contact information. If e-mail/phone number is not valid, an alternate winner will be chosen.
- Station reserves the right to decline entries due to offensive or potentially damaging content.
- WGGB, Inc. and Gormally Broadcasting LLC., are not responsible for any liabilities arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the prize.
- In claiming your prize, you acknowledge that WGGB, Inc. and Gormally Broadcasting LLC., have the right to publicize your name, character, likeness, photograph, voice, and the fact that you are the winner for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
- Odds of winning depends on the number of entries.
- This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Gormally Broadcasting LLC., WGGB Inc., and ABC accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession, or use of any prize awarded hereunder.
- Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes, or contest information.
- Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned contest dates